Monday, September 22, 2008

Andrew's injury

Friday Andrew had his first dental appointment. We found out that he has a cavity. Phil and I are both shocked at this news because he never drinks juice and he doesn't care for sweet things. Wierd. I am 30 yrs old, LOVE sweet things, and still have no cavities. Strange.

Anyway, after his appointment we went to Mitchell to do some shopping. We stopped at our first store and Andrew fell out of the van on his head. We have no clue how it happened and neither of us saw it. He always gets out by himself. When I first saw his head I freaked out. It LITERALLY looked like someone inserted a golf ball in the side of his head. I quickly ran into the store and received an icepack from the first aid kit at the service desk. The poor kid screamed for nearly 20 minutes. For Andrew, that is very rare. I then decided we had better get him to the doctor to check of a concussion. It looked SO BAD! I seriously thought they would admit him and do a CAT scan on him. When we arrived at the doctor's office he was starting to perk up. By the time we saw the doctor, the swelling had gone down considerably. I was so relieved. He checked out fine and the doctored instructed us to wake him up in the middle of the night to make sure he was okay. She wanted us to ask him questions to see if his brain was still working. Andrew is a hard sleeper so this was especially funny. Here is how the conversation went...
Me: Andrew, wake up. Mommy needs to talk to you.
Him: Hmmm.
Me: What is your name?
Him: Andrew
Me: How old are you?
Him: 4 (at this point he was getting annoyed)
Me: Who am I? Who is holding you?
Him: (confused look) Carole?
Me: Open your eyes Andrew. Who is holding you?
Him: Groan. Mommy?
Me: Can I look at your eyes?
Him: No (he wouldn't even crack them a centimeter)
Me: Andrew I need to see if your eyes are sick.
Him: I wanna sleep

LOL! It was easy to tell that he was fine. He was instantly back to sleep when I quit talking and the next morning he remembered nothing.

So he made it through his major head injury. As if the poor kid had not already had enough head trauma, the following day the neighbor kid hit a dirt clod with a bat and hit Andrew right in the forehead. I think he needs a helmet. ;o) Here are some pictures I took of his head Friday night. The swelling had gone down a lot. The golf ball was no longer visible.

7 comments:

Kelly said...

Poor Baby! Glad he's doing OK despite the goose egg!

And Linda would be proud of your injury picture taking! Good job!

Sara (Chicago Girl) said...

Poor Guy, I hope you are feeling better after the trama! I *hate* being the one watching, I'd rather be the one hurt. I love the middle of the night conversation though.

Unknown said...

Oh, my!! I am so glad he is doing better. That's the kind of thing that mamas remember forever and ever! So, how are you?

Kirstin said...

Awww, poor baby...but his middle of the night commentary is too cute!

Anonymous said...

Poor Anderew

Catherine said...

Boys are the greatest, aren't they??! You gotta love 'em. So glad the little guy's OK.

Unknown said...

Oh no!!! That is always a big worry of mine... one of them falling (or worse, being dropped, because that means it would be my fault) any distance onto their head on a hard surface. Scary, scary, stuff. It sounds like you handled it well though, and I'm so glad to hear he's ok!