Saturday, February 21, 2009

Twins?

I survived an 8 hour car trip with an almost 3 year old and a 5 year old. We arrived safely in MI about 6:30pm last night. Our original plans were to leave on Sunday morning. Yesterday morning I checked the weather around 8:00am and saw that is wasn't going to be good to travel through the Chicago area on Saturday or Sunday. By 10:15am we were on the road. I don't think I have ever packed so fast in my life.

The kids did great much to my surprise. We stopped at McDonalds for a quick lunch because I wanted to get back on the road to try to beat the Chicago rush hour traffic. While we were in the restroom in McDonalds a lady noticed my well behaved children. I actually thought I had left my kids behind and ended up with someone elses kids for the trip. She kindly asked if they were twins. *shock* I think I might have looked at her like she had a third eye. I stammered a bit hoping she would realize her mistake, and then I answered no. She quickly apologized and commented on how they look so close in age. I said, "He is 5 and she is almost 3." At this point I could tell the lady was embarrassed so I quickly explained that Andrew is adopted and yes, he is small for his age. I will admit, that is the first time someone has ever asked if my kids were twins. I would think that a dark haired, dark skinned boy and a fair skinned, blond girl could never pass as twins. But then again, what do I know? :)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha! That made me smile. I'm glad you beat the weather though. It was horrible up here today! Enjoy your trip. :)

Unknown said...

That is funny, but you know, things like that do happen with twins.

Miss Chaplin said...

That's so funny! I'm glad the kids were good for you. That makes the trip so much more fun! Have fun!

zekesmom10 said...

Nice! Like Sabrina said, it does happen. I would sure never assume it though. Glad they were good for you!

A woman asked me if mine were twins just the other day. Yeah, they were just born two years apart!

Ann-Marie said...

I'm so glad you had a safe trip! That lady's comment made me laugh, too! Some people just say the darndest things, don't they?