Tuesday, November 18, 2008

When I'm a Man

I realize it has been a LONG time since I have updated this blog. In the last entry you may have seen boxes behind Carole. You guessed it. We moved. The last few months have been a whirlwind of activity for us. We found out we were moving to a new field the end of September. On October 28th we arrived at our new home in IA and have been busy settling in and getting to know our new church family.

Since then Andrew thinks he has grown up and become a man. That is his new favorite thing to talk about. It seems like all I hear is ... "Mom, when I grow up and become a man..." Today he was hilarious! Very serious, but hilarious! We were all sitting around the table for lunch and the conversation went something like this...

Andrew: Dad, when I am a man will I still live with you?

Phil: No, you will move out and get your own place.

Andrew: Will someone give me a car?

Phil: No, you will buy your own car with the money you earn from working at your job. You might also be going to college. Maybe you will fall in love with a pretty girl and get married.

At this point in the conversation I was in the kitchen loading the dishwasher and I happened to look up and notice Andrew had tears forming in his eyes and his lower lip was quivering.

Andrew quietly answered: I will miss you, daddy.

Me: Andrew you don't have to move out now. You aren't a man yet. You get to live with mommy and daddy for a long time.

Andrew: Okay. Mommy, where do you buy cars at.

Me: At a store that sells them.

Phil: Or you can buy someone's old one that they don't want anymore.

Andrew: Can I buy your green car, Dad?


My handsome little man!

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Wow - a new place! Hope you can settled in pretty quickly - it's hard to move I know. The conversation with Andrew is so funny - I think I would love Andrew - he sounds just like one of my boys. Happy unpacking!

Blessed Mom of Four AND More said...

My now 17 year old son once said, "Mom, when I grow up and become a preacher, will you come to my church?" I said, "Well, if God sends you to a church in another town, I probably won't."
And, he said, "I'm pretty sure God will send me to preach in a town close to home."

Now, sniff, sniff, he plans to join the Navy Seals and leave his Mommy far behing.